“A House in Albidona” is the 1 euro houses project name, an initiative to combat the depopulation of the village, which in 30 years has seen its population halved.
Through the sale of houses at symbolic prices, starting from 1 euro, to encourage and promote the purchase of houses in Italy, the Administration of Albidona expects socio-economic and tourist-receptive growth of its country.
Getting to know Albidona
Albidona is a small village and ancient mountain centre, 800 meters above sea level. A small town, located between the Ionian High Sea and the massif of Mount Pollino and its Nature Park, almost on the borders of Basilicata. The territory of Albidona is located in a particular position, which goes from the sea, near the Saracen Tower, to the gates of the village.
The old town is divided into districts, where you can visit historic palaces and churches of the 1600s. Little remains of the old castle, but outside town, there are still ruins of old water mills and ancient clay brick furnaces.
A few steps from the sea is the historic Torre della Marina di Albidona, also called Torre dei Monaci: A guard against the assaults of Muslim pirates, later used as a customs post.
In Albidona you can completely immerse yourself in the nature of the Pollino Natural Park. You can venture through woods, see fountains and farms, you can practice trekking and mountain biking or go down to the sea for a dive, passing a small pine forest.
The cuisine of Albidona is rich in Calabrian products with numerous cold cuts: ham, soppressata and capocollo. All-natural Italian products from locally bred animals.
How to get to Albidona
- Lamezia Terme International Airport, 2 hours
- From Cosenza: Via E45, 1 hour and 25 minutes
The 1 Euro Houses Project “A House in Albidona”
The municipality of Albidona has approved the regulation of the sale at a symbolic price of 1 euro to start the recovery and enhancement of the real estate assets of the town.
They still wait for the participation of private individuals who want to get rid of dilapidated and unused properties to be put up for sale.
Buyers will have to comply with the rules of the municipal administration and in particular will have to submit:
- An explanatory report of the recovery of the property and its future use (e.g. housing, second homes, shops, etc.).
- The characteristics of the parties involved in the proposal for intervention and their competences:
- documentation proving that the requirements for proposers have been met;
- declaration by the operator of commitment to sign the public deed of sale of the property, assuming at his own expense all the costs for the transfer of the property that must take place within 2 months of approval;
- declaration by the operator of the commitment to enter into a guarantee policy in favour of the Municipality, to guarantee the restructuring and recovery commitments entered into, of a surety policy of the amount of €4,000.00, valid for 4 years.
- they undertake to submit the restructuring project within 6 months of the conclusion of the contract of sale.
The Municipality reserves the right to request clarifications and / or additions to the documentation submitted if this is necessary for the correct evaluation of the proposals.
The regulation is available here.
The municipal resolution is available here.
All the information about the houses at 1€ with our ebook for 2€
- Available in English in PDF and epub format.
- Answers to your most common questions about 1 Euro Houses.
- Includes a practical example with costs and timing.
Contacts of the municipality
Comune di Albidona
Vico II Principe Umberto
87070 Albidona (CS)
Tel: +39 098152001