This post is also available in: Italiano (Italian)
Castiglione di Sicilia,a medieval village inserted in the authentic villages ofItaly, becomes part of the 1 euro houses projects with an initiative in which the aim is to revalue some neighbourhoods of the medieval village, but with a distinction between buildings in poor condition (to be included in the initiative houses at 1 euro) and buildings in fair condition that need limited intervention and that will therefore be able to participate in the program in which these properties will be awarded through an auction base.
Castiglione di Sicilia is located in an enchanting position in the hills on the north side of Etna, in the centre of the valley that the River Alcantara digs between the towns of Randazzo and Taormina. The municipality is part of the Etna Park and the Alcantara River Park.
The village with a medieval heart is punctuated by steep streets with Byzantine and Norman finds. There are many sacred places and palaces that deserve a tour of the town: from the Church of Sant’Antonio of 1600 to the noble palaces such as Palazzo Imbesi, Camardi, Saglimbeni and Sardo. In the beautiful Basilica of our Lady of Catena you can admire the statue of our lady executed in Carrara marble.
The location of Castiglione di Sicilia in the heart of the Alcantara Valley is ideal for practising river trekking or excursions that even reach the slopes of Etna with paths between spectacular volcanic landscapes and the Alcantara river. You can’t miss the Etna caves either. Real canyons were formed thanks to the ancient eruptions of the volcano and on which the water flows digging large blocks of basalt day after day to create a truly unmissable scenery. Among these are the Grotta dei Lampnoti,the Grotta delle Femmine and the Grotta delle Palombe.
Castiglione di Sicilia is the fourth village, in the territory of Catania, for tourist flow. Castiglione di Sicilia is one of the most populated areas of wineries that produce Etna DOCwine, thanks to the land surrounding the volcano. It is also an area of Monte Etna PDO oil and much other typical food and wine products. Hospitality is also very developed with offers for all categories of travellers.
Link of the call here.
How to reach Castiglione di Sicilia
- From Catania: Fontanarossa Airport
- From Catania: Motorway A18/E45 at about 55km about 1 hour
The 1 euro houses project in Castiglione di Sicilia
The Case a 1 euro project in Castiglione di Sicilia is aimed at the owners of the properties in obvious conditions of degradation and/or poor health conditions that want to get rid of the property on which municipal taxes still weigh and to avoid the risk of being subjected to orders to secure the property with additional expenses.
The Municipality guarantees this project without any interference in private interests and provides for the publication of the call and advertising of the initiative also through a dedicated section on the municipal website of the showcase of houses for 1 euro.
For each building, rankings will be drawn up for the assignment according to the timing of the construction of the renovation both on the basis of the increased offer.
Buyers will need to know to commit to:
- Conclude a public deed of purchase of the property within two months from the enforceability of the determination of approval of the assignment deed or any allocation ranking;
- Incur all expenses for the drafting of the transfer document (notaries, registration, volture, stacking, etc.);
- Prepare a project for the renovation and recovery of the property, acquiring all the necessary opinions, within 6 months from the date of purchase;
- Start work within 12 months of the date of issue of the building permit and complete it within 2 years;
- To take out a surety policy, in favor of the Municipality of Castropignano, of the amount of € 4,000.00 valid for 4 years and 6 months,to guarantee the concrete realization of the works. In case of default of the transferee, the Municipality will have the right to forfeit the policy or to purchase the property of the property.