Questo articolo è disponibile anche in: Italiano (Italian)
The 1 euro houses have arrived in Piazza Armerina! Here’s how to join the project.
Here's how to buy a house for € 1 with our ebook
- Available in English, French and Spanish in PDF and epub format.
- How to buy 1 Euro Houses in Italy?
- How to find available 1 Euro Houses in Italy?
- How to plan for the purchase and renovation?
Getting to know Piazza Armerina
Piazza Armerina is a small town in the province of Enna. Located in the southern Erei mountains, the small village is surrounded by mixed forests full of eucalyptus, with the Lake Olivo nearby. Piazza Armerina has an extensive municipal area and is among the top 100 Italian municipalities by area. However, the population is relatively low, having only some 20,000 inhabitants since the 1930s.
As an internal area of the Sicilian island, the climate is more temperate and continental than the coastal part of the island. Temperatures are pleasant even in summer, not exceeding the maximum of 32 ° C. This small town is therefore perfect for those looking for the mountain air in the Mediterranean, without losing the heat of summer.
The history of Piazza Armerina dates back to the Paleolithic, even if the city was founded later, in 1163. Among the historical monuments of interest not to be missed is the Villa Romana del Casale, located just outside the city. Also beautiful to visit is the Cathedral of Piazza Armerina, with a very particular and fascinating architecture.
How to get to Piazza Armerina
- From Agrigento, 1h 30min: Exit the city on the SP80, continuing on the SS640 and SS640dir until the exit for the Catania-Palermo motorway. Leave the SS626 at the Ponte Capodarso exit, continuing on the SS122 towards Enna. Continue on the SS117bis to the destination.
- From Catania, 1h 15min: Take the A19 motorway towards Palermo. Exit the motorway at the Dittaino exit, continuing on the SS192, SP4 and SS117bis towards Piazza Armerina.
- Catania Airport, 1h 15min: Take the A19 motorway towards Palermo. Exit the motorway at the Dittaino exit, continuing on the SS192, SP4 and SS117bis towards Piazza Armerina.
- Palermo Airport, 2h 30min: Take the E90 and the A19 motorway towards Catania. Leave the motorway at the Enna exit, continuing on the SS117bis to the destination.
The 1 Euro Houses project in Piazza Armerina
On January 31st, 2022, the municipality approved the regulation of the 1 Euro Houses initiative. The aim of the initiative is to:
- Redevelop the privately owned buildings in the historic center.
- Encourage the repopulation of the historic center.
- Introduce new tourist accommodation activities.
- Support the local economy with reference to the companies and workers involved in the renovation of the houses.
At the moment, the municipality is looking for the owners of the abandoned houses in the historic center, who willing to sell them at the symbolic price of 1 euro. For those who want to sell their home for 1 euro, they can join the project by filling in Annex A of the regulation.
For those who want to buy them, the municipality requires the obligation to:
- Fill in the application form (Annex B of the regulation).
- Stipulate a notary public deed for the purchase of the property.
- Bear all the expenses for the drafting of the deed of sale.
- Prepare and deposit, at the Municipal Technical Office, the project for the renovation of the chosen property.
- Start the work once you have received the necessary permits.
- Complete the works within 2 (two) years from the date of commencement of the works.
The regulation in Italian is available online.
Contacts of the municipality
Municipality of Piazza Armerina
Atrium Fundrò 1
94015 Piazza Armerina (EN)
PEC email: email@example.com